Monthly roundup for West Ham Reserve and Youth teams

West Ham youth team started February with an away fixture at Crystal Palace:

The game started well for the Hammers, opening the scoring after just five minutes, when central defender White headed home from a Kyel Reid corner.The lads doubled their lead after 25 minutes, as Hines finished well from close range.

On the half-hour mark Palace pulled one back, White headed the ball back over him and into the empty net, giving the defender the dubious honour of scoring at both ends.on the stroke of half-time, Palace grabbed a second to make it 2-2 at the interval.

The Hammers grabbed what proved to be the winner on 65 minutes, when Jeffrey got across his marker to flick the ball in at the near post.

The result signalled Hammers' third win in four games since the start of the new year, and Academy manager Tony Carr was pleased that his side managed to recover from their set-back prior to half-time.

Result: Won 2-3

Next Up came another away fixture this time at Chelsea.

Almost straight from kick-off, Chelsea managed to nick a goal form a corner. Chelsea went on to dominate the second half.

After the break West Ham looked a different side and enjoyed the better exchanges throughout the second half.Liam White, Jack Collison and Zavon Hines all went close but, for only the second time this season, Hammers couldn't find a way through the opposition, and Chelsea held on for the victory.

Result: Lost 0-1

West Ham United's first home match of February saw them entertain Charlton.

Hammers made the brighter start and appeared to be gaining the upper hand as the first half progressed, but two goals in the space of five minutes just before the break put Charlton in control.

Despite dominating the second period and spending most of it camped in Charlton's half, they simply couldn't find the breakthrough. Zavon Hines and Jack Collison both missed excellent chances, while Hammers also had two strong penalty appeals harshly turned down by the referee.

Result: lost 0-2

Final game for the youngsters in February was away at Fulham.

Fulham opened the scoring after just 15 minutes, but Hammers equalised 10 minutes before the break when Welsh was tripped in the penalty area and picked himself up to convert the spot-kick.

Two minutes after the interval, Fulham restored their advantage with a rebound from close range. However ,the Hammers responded immediately and were level just a few minutes later, when Kyle Reid fired home a fierce left-footed effort from the edge of the penalty area.

From then on, West Ham dominated proceedings and created enough clear-cut chances to have won the game comfortably. However Fulham held on to gain a point.

Result Drew: 2 - 2

The Reserve team also had a mixed month, starting with a home fixture against Coventry.

Hammers had the better of the early exchanges but the visitors began to get into their stride as the game wore on. On the half hour mark Coventry had a goal disallowed, but just two minutes later, they found the net legitimately.

Just five minutes after the restart, Coventry doubled their advantage. In stoppage time, Coventry broke away on the counter-attack and completed the scoring to make it 3-0.

Although the result was disappointing it should be pointed out that West Ham were mostly made up of youth team players.

Result: Lost 0 - 3

Next up came an away game at Fulham

This was a close game with neither side able to dominate however in the seventh minute Blewitt sent over a deep cross from the left that found Cowley, who chested down at the far post and volleyed a superb effort into the net from close range. The rest of the fisrt half was close with few chances.

The second half did not prove much better, although Fletcher was unlucky not to extend the lead with a clever lob that cannoned back off the crossbar.

West Ham managed to hold on to secure the points.

Resul Final game of the month was a corker at home to Leicester.

This game saw a welcome return to action for Jimmy Walker returning to action. After a tense start, Leicester opened the scoring after 23 minutes, but just four minutes later, the Hammers were level when young defender Tomkins rose to meet a deep corner and sent a powerful header into the top corner of the net.

Ten minutes before the break, Newton struck a superb volley - his first goal for the club since arriving last year - but just five minutes later the Foxes equalised to restore parity and send the teams in level at the interval.

The second-half saw the Hammers make dominate proceedings, but the vital breakthrough didn't arrive until the 78th minute, when Kyle Reid let fly with a swerving left-foot effort from the edge of the penalty area. In the closing stages, Hammers added two more to make the game safe. First Carl Fletcher bravely converted a header with five minutes remaining, then in stoppage time Yaniv Katan scored his first goal in a claret and blue shirt from the penalty spot after substitute Zavon Hines had been fouled.

Result Won 5 - 2

t: Won 1 - 0