Reserves and Youth team January Round up

West Ham reserves and Youth teams both managed to get through January unbeaten.

The Reserves started the month away at Southampton. The first 20 minutes were very scrappy with few chances for either side. However the home side manged to pinch a goal after 20 minutes. Just like the first team this seemed to wake up the sleeping irons and they controlled the game from then on. Unfortunately the Southampton keeper was having a great game, pulling off great saves to deny Petre Mikolanda and Kyle Reid. Just after the restart Mikalonda got the goal that their efforts deserved. West Ham continued to press but again the opposing keeper was playing out of his skin and made a string of saves to deny West Ham maximum points. Yaniv Katan was singled
out for special praise after putting in a great performance.

Result: Drew 1 - 1

The Reserves second game was at home against Portsmouth. The game was a close fought affair and did not come to life until the last five minutes. After mounting Hammers pressure Carl Fletcher looked to have sealed the points with a cracking shot from the edge of the area that looked to have sealed the points. But against the run of play, Pompey snatched an equaliser in the dying seconds.

Result: Draw 1 - 1

The Youth team had three matches and certainly know where the goal is!

First up were visitors Ipswich Town. West Ham attacked from the first whistle and Liam White deservedly put the Hammers one up after just 7 minutes. Five minutes later and West Ham were awarded a penalty, with the Ipswich keeper being sent off. As they had no sub, an outfield player had to go in goal. Hogan Ephraim duly despatched the penalty and the flood gates opened. Danny Cowley added the third just before half - time. Just after the break Ipswich managed to pull one back but it was too little too late as Ephraim helped himself to a second goal. Zavon Hines and Jack Jeffrey completed the rout.

Result: Won 6 - 1

Next up for the youngsters were Norwich, away. The first half was very close with neither side looking like breaking the dead lock, but after the break West Ham came out all guns blazing! ten minutes after the restart Lee Hales kept his cool to slot the opener past the Norwich keeper. On 70 minutes the impressive Hogan Ephraim got the second goal. Jack Jeffrey nearly made it 3 but his shot was saved by the upright. In the dying seconds Norwich managed to get a consolation goal.

Result: Won 2 - 1

The Youth team's final match for January was a tough one at home to league leaders Southampton. West Ham dominated the first half and were unlucky to into the break a goal behind just before the break. within ten minutes of the second half they found themselves two down. The lads refused to give up and David Cowley gave them hope when he pulled one back almost immediately from the penalty spot, and it was no shock when Zavon Hines just 5 minutes later. Despite continued pressure the lads could not find the net again and had to settle for a point.

Result: Drew 2 - 2.

All in all its been another good month for all three West Ham teams. Long may it continue!